Transgenic mice have been a cornerstone of genetic research for decades. Engineered to integrate genes of interest or to knock out certain genes in the genome, these mice are used in the lab to model human diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and more.1
Generated by either pronuclear injection of foreign DNA into fertilized mouse oocytes or embryonic stem cell transfection with the targeted transgene, transgenic mice must be routinely genotyped to ensure breeding lines contain the gene of interest. The challenge of isolating DNA from transgenic mice samples has been addressed by a number of workflows with varying degrees of success. Silica membrane-based column purification methods can be used to remove contaminants and inhibitors, but they are time- and cost-intensive and can suffer low yield. Lower-cost approaches such as sodium hydroxide [NaOH] and Proteinase K [PK] save time, but carry-over contamination and other risks can produce inconsistent results.
Leveraging its directed evolution platform, Kapa Biosystems has engineered enzymes with specific performance characteristics that address the needs of high-throughput mouse genotyping. Kapa products enable streamlined workflows through direct analysis of crude samples, while maintaining high yield and sensitivity across a broad range of target lengths and GC content. Data on file.
1. Hanahan, D., Wagner E., and Palmiter R.C. (2007) The origins of onmice: a history of the first transgenic mice genetically engineered to develop cancer. Retrieved from http://genesdev.cshlp.org/content/21/18/2258.full.html
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
- Sample-to-PCR in 15 minutes
- Rapid DNA extraction from a variety of sample types
- Single-tube protocol reduces risk of sample loss and contamination
- Directly analyze crude tissue or blood without purification
- Master mix contains KAPA3G DNA Polymerase, a highly inhibitor-tolerant enzyme
- Sample-to-Cq workflows in <90 minutes when used with Kapa Express Extract
- From tail to type in 1 hour
- Increased throughput and reliability, while minimizing turnaround time
- Kits contain KAPA Express Extract and KAPA2G Fast Genotyping Mix with dye